These Terms govern your use of JerseyCityNJ and the products, features, apps, services, technologies, and software we offer, except where we expressly state that separate terms (and not these) apply.
1. Our ServicesOur mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. To help advance this mission, we provide the Products and services described below to you:
2. Our Data Policy and Your Privacy ChoicesTo provide these services, we must collect and use your personal data. We detail our practices in the Data Policy, which you must agree to in order to use our Products.
We also encourage you to review the privacy choices you have in your settings.
3. Your Commitments to JerseyCityNJWe provide these services to you and others to help advance our mission. In exchange, we need you to make the following commitments:
Use the same name that you use in everyday life.
Provide accurate information about yourself.
Create only one account (your own) and use your timeline for personal purposes.
Not share your password, give access to your JerseyCityNJ account to others, or transfer your account to anyone else (without our permission).
We try to make JerseyCityNJ broadly available to everyone, but you cannot use JerseyCityNJ if:
You are under 13 years old.
You are a convicted sex offender.
We previously disabled your account for violations of our terms or policies.
You are prohibited from receiving our products, services, or software under applicable laws.
- You may not use our Products to do or share anything:
That violates these Terms, our Community Standards, and other terms and policies that apply to your use of JerseyCityNJ.
That is unlawful, misleading, discriminatory or fraudulent.
That infringes or violates someone else's rights.
To help support our community, we encourage you to report content or conduct that you believe violates your rights (including intellectual property rights) or our terms and policies.
- Permission to use content you create and share: You own the content you create and share on JerseyCityNJ and the other JerseyCityNJ Products you use, and nothing in these Terms takes away the rights you have to your own content. You are free to share your content with anyone else, wherever you want. To provide our services, though, we need you to give us some legal permissions to use that content.
Specifically, when you share, post, or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights (like photos or videos) on or in connection with our Products, you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, and worldwide license to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate, and create derivative works of your content (consistent with your privacy and application settings). This means, for example, that if you share a photo on JerseyCityNJ, you give us permission to store, copy, and share it with others (again, consistent with your settings) such as service providers that support our service or other JerseyCityNJ Products you use.
You can end this license any time by deleting your content or account. You should know that, for technical reasons, content you delete may persist for a limited period of time in backup copies (though it will not be visible to other users). In addition, content you delete may continue to appear if you have shared it with others and they have not deleted it.
- Permission to use your name, profile picture, and information about your actions with ads and sponsored content: You give us permission to use your name and profile picture and information about actions you have taken on JerseyCityNJ next to or in connection with ads, offers, and other sponsored content that we display across our Products, without any compensation to you. For example, we may show your friends that you are interested in an advertised event or have liked a Page created by a brand that has paid us to display its ads on JerseyCityNJ. Ads like this can be seen only by people who have your permission to see the actions you've taken on JerseyCityNJ. You can learn more about your ad settings and preferences.
If you are under the age of eighteen (18), you represent that a parent or legal guardian also agrees to this section on your behalf. (This language is included pursuant to a court-approved legal settlement.)
- Permission to update software you use or download: If you download or use our software, you give us permission to download and install upgrades, updates, and additional features to improve, enhance, and further develop it.
4. Additional provisions
We hope that you will continue using our Products, but if you do not agree to our updated Terms and no longer want to be a part of the JerseyCityNJ community, you can delete your account at any time.
If we determine that you have violated our terms or policies, we may take action against your account to protect our community and services, including by suspending access to your account or disabling it. We may also suspend or disable your account if you create risk or legal exposure for us or when we are permitted or required to do so by law. Where appropriate, we will notify you about your account the next time you try to access it. You can learn more about what you can do if your account has been disabled.
If you delete or we disable your account, these Terms shall terminate as an agreement between you and us, but the following provisions will remain in place: 3, 4.2-4.5
We cannot predict when issues might arise with our Products. Accordingly, our liability shall be limited to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, and under no circumstance will we be liable to you for any lost profits, revenues, information, or data, or consequential, special, indirect, exemplary, punitive, or incidental damages arising out of or related to these Terms or the JerseyCityNJ Products, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Our aggregate liability arising out of or relating to these Terms or the JerseyCityNJ Products will not exceed the greater of $100 or the amount you have paid us in the past twelve months.
For any claim, cause of action, or dispute you have against us that arises out of or relates to these Terms or the JerseyCityNJ Products ("claim"), you agree that it will be resolved exclusively in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California or a state court located in San Mateo County. You also agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of either of these courts for the purpose of litigating any such claim, and that the laws of the State of California will govern these Terms and any claim, without regard to conflict of law provisions.
- These Terms make up the entire agreement between you and JerseyCityNJ regarding your use of our Products. They supersede any prior agreements.
- Some of the Products we offer are also governed by supplemental terms. If you use any of those Products, supplemental terms will be made available and will become part of our agreement with you. For instance, if you access or use our Products for commercial or business purposes, such as buying ads, selling products, developing apps, managing a group or Page for your business, or using our measurement services, you must agree to our Commercial Terms. To the extent any supplemental terms conflict with these Terms, the supplemental terms shall govern to the extent of the conflict.
- If any portion of these Terms are found to be unenforceable, the remaining portion will remain in full force and effect. If we fail to enforce any of these Terms, it will not be considered a waiver. Any amendment to or waiver of these Terms must be made in writing and signed by us.
- You will not transfer any of your rights or obligations under these Terms to anyone else without our consent.
- You may designate a person (called a legacy contact) to manage your account if it is memorialized. Only your legacy contact or a person who you have identified in a valid will or similar document expressing clear consent to disclose your content upon death or incapacity will be able to seek disclosure from your account after it is memorialized.
- These Terms do not confer any third-party beneficiary rights. All of our rights and obligations under these Terms are freely assignable by us in connection with a merger, acquisition, or sale of assets, or by operation of law or otherwise.
- You should know that we may need to change the username for your account in certain circumstances (for example, if someone else claims the username and it appears unrelated to the name you use in everyday life).
- We always appreciate your feedback and other suggestions about our products and services. But you should know that we may use them without any restriction or obligation to compensate you, and we are under no obligation to keep them confidential.
5. Other terms and policies that may apply to you
Community Standards: These guidelines outline our standards regarding the content you post to JerseyCityNJ and your activity on JerseyCityNJ and other JerseyCityNJ Products.
Commercial Terms: These terms apply if you also access or use our Products for any commercial or business purpose, including advertising, operating an app on our Platform, using our measurement services, managing a group or a Page for a business, or selling goods or services.
Advertising Policies: These policies specify what types of ad content are allowed by partners who advertise across the JerseyCityNJ Products.